Re: External disk (umass) still writing: how to tell?

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 07:14:32PM -0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost writes:
>
> >But I have heard the disk writing after the filesystem was unmounted and
> >the prompt back. Several seconds after, even one minute or a bit more...
>
> unmounting flushes caches, so all writes will be done when umount
> returns.
>

> >This was with the USB connection.
> >With SATA, mounting with "sync", I had not such a (bad) surprise.
>

> Obviously the disk or the USB bridge could lie about completed writes,
> but that's unlikely.
>
> My guess is you heard some other disk activity, maybe a SMART check
> that the USB bridge enabled for you.

Well, I hope you are right. But this could mean that a user could cut
the power while the heads are not parked (the devices are relatively
cheap and they lie a lot; advertise good for whatever HDD when they
can't power up more than a 2To HDD etc.).
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/