NFS client permanent mount points under /mnt?

Hi, all!

I'm wondering, what's the best location for a client machine to
permanently mount NFS remote file systems?

I was thinking

  /mnt/<name>

or maybe (but I'm less convinced that encoding the type of the remote
file system in the path is a good idea):

  /mnt/nfs/<name>

However, in hier(7)

  https://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?hier++NetBSD-current

it says

  /mnt/      Empty directory commonly used by system administrators as a
             temporary mount point.

The phrase "as a temporary mount point" sounds to me like /mnt is
intended to remain empty and only be used by a system administrator as a
mount point when they need to temporarily mount a file system manually
and then presumably unmount it when no longer needed.

I would like an appropriate (i.e., best practice) location where I can
permanently mount remote file systems.  Where should these go?  Or is
hier(7) just saying what /mnt is commonly used for, and if I used it for
something else, that would be considered fine?  I could even create an
empty /mnt/tmp, for example, to ensure that there still is a good place
for a system administrator to temporarily mount a file system if needed.

Also in hier(7) is

  /net/      automounted NFS shares; see auto_master(5)

That's clearly a good place, but it means using the automounter.  I was
hoping to not use the automounter, but perhaps I could if that's really
the best thing to do.

I haven't looked into the automounter, so maybe it's easy to do, but
in one case, I'm needing to have a parent directory that contains the
mount-point subdirectory because I need to ensure that the permissions
are set to 0550 on the parent directory to prevent read access by other
users on the client machine to any files in the mounted remote tree that
have their other-read bit set.

Thanks!

Lewis