Re: External disk (umass) still writing: how to tell?

tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost writes:

>But I have heard the disk writing after the filesystem was unmounted and
>the prompt back. Several seconds after, even one minute or a bit more...

unmounting flushes caches, so all writes will be done when umount
returns.

>This was with the USB connection.
>With SATA, mounting with "sync", I had not such a (bad) surprise.

Obviously the disk or the USB bridge could lie about completed writes,
but that's unlikely.

My guess is you heard some other disk activity, maybe a SMART check
that the USB bridge enabled for you.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost