Re: csapp, really good?

On 2019-07-09 13:25, Andrew Luke Nesbit wrote:
On 09/07/2019 09:09, Dan LaBell wrote:
And, Practical C Programming, Steven Oualline
(which I will part with in moment, and never really needed, but I will
still recommend it) because it contains every scold you would know by heart,
if you learned programming, in the unix lab.

I see this book often and have skimmed through it once or twice.  I never saw anything particularly compelling about it.  I will have a closer look next time.

Understanding the dark corners of C is essential to understanding the language properly.  More importantly, it's important to know how to protect oneself against widely propagated misinfomation.  An example of this kind of _misinformation_ is that arrays and pointers are the same.

That partly stems from the unfortunate double meaning of a pointer, and also partly because of a little sloppy use of natural languages.

When we say "pointer", do we mean a pointer variable, or the content that a pointer variable might store.

The r-value of a pointer variable is the same as the r-value of an array.

However, the l-value of a pointer variable is a pointer to the variable itself, while an array do not have an l-value.

So an array and a pointer variable are certainly not the same thing.

But a pointer, in the meaning "an address", is always an address, don't matter what it points to, or where you got that address from.

  Johnny