Re: csapp, really good?

On 09/07/2019 09:09, Dan LaBell wrote:
UNIX for Programmers, and Users, a Complete Guide.
(NOT THE 2nd edition, the 1st ) Graham Glass

Why do you like the 1st edition more than the 2nd?

I understand many reasons why an earlier edition is preferable. I have several examples of titles too, where I prefer an earlier edition. For example, when a beautiful chapter on an obscure, underrated, or overlooked topic is removed to make room for information on new developments. (And I appreciate this. Publishing is full of tradeoffs like this.)

Note that there seems to be a 3rd edition of Glass available.

And, Practical C Programming, Steven Oualline
(which I will part with in moment, and never really needed, but I will
still recommend it) because it contains every scold you would know by heart,
if you learned programming, in the unix lab.

I see this book often and have skimmed through it once or twice. I never saw anything particularly compelling about it. I will have a closer look next time.

Understanding the dark corners of C is essential to understanding the language properly. More importantly, it's important to know how to protect oneself against widely propagated misinfomation. An example of this kind of _misinformation_ is that arrays and pointers are the same.

There aren't many of these dark corners but most of them have a profound influence. I highly recommend getting a copy of "Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets" by Peter van der Linden and reading it with K&R's 2nd edition close by, which it makes meaningful references to.

As for the original book you asked about, CS:APP3e, I think it looks fantastic. It's been on my list of books to read for about a year. From what I've seen it's completely different to the Unix book by Bach.

Andrew
--
OpenPGP key: EB28 0338 28B7 19DA DAB0  B193 D21D 996E 883B E5B9