Re: FFSv1 (UFS1) vs FFSv2 (UFS2)

from Greg Troxel:

> Saying that "UFS2" does or does not have support does not make senes,
> without saying "UFS2 in FooBSD".  As I understand it, in NetBSD, UFS1
> has support and UFS2 doesn't.   FreeBSD may well be different.   Since
> we have  a long tradition of moving code back and forth, perhaps
> someone should have a look?

UFS or ffs implementations have differences, which may be the reason why Linux support is read-only and there is no support in Haiku.

I found, a few years back, that FreeBSD and NetBSD could not mount a DragonFly BSD partition, and DragonFly BSD (using downloaded image written to USB stick) couldn't mount a NetBSD or FreeBSD partition.  Last time I downloaded a DragonFly image to write to USB stick, it hung on boot.

from Michael van Elst:

> mueller6726%twc.com@localhost ("Thomas Mueller") writes:

> >I remember reading on Haiku web site (haiku-os.org), with reference to cross-compiling, that UFS2 supports extended attributes.  I also checked Wikipedia (Unix File System), and UFS2 supports extended attributes.

> Yes, but we haven't implemented that part.

> >Would UFS1 level 4 also support extended attributes?

> Originally no, but it was added to UFS1. The extended attributes are
> stored in subdirectory ".attribute" of the mountpoint, so the
> on-disk structure isn't really changed.

I looked using ls -la /<mount-point> and ls -la /<mount-point>/root and found no .attribute subdirectory.  I ran dumpfs to verify whether the file system was UFS1 or UFS2.

Subject did not appear on my last post because of either a mouse copy-and-paste error or accidentally deleting S in Subject from the keyboard.  Header line appeared as
ubject: Re: FFSv1 (UFS1) vs FFSv2 (UFS2)

I also corrected my email address, looked for and fixed other occurrences of "mueller6726".

Tom