[no subject]

from Michael van Elst:

> tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost writes:

> >I guess that my uncertainty about FFSv1 vs FFSv2 comes partly from this
> >confusion between fdisk(8) vs gpt(8) and the 32bits limit and the
> >mention of > 1To in newfs(8) man page.

> FFSv1 also has a 32bit (or rather 31bit) limit. Since it counts fragments,
> not physical disk blocks, the effective limit for the filesystem size
> varies between 1TB (512byte fragments) and 128TB (64kByte fragments).

I believe high-capacity external hard drives, mainly USB 3 but also eSATA, have sector size 4 KB and do not attempt to make it look like 512 bytes.

That is the case with Micronet Fantom GForce external hard drives that have connectorss for both eSATA and USB 3.

Then could UFS1 handle uo to 8 TB?  I still tend to use UFS2, which is FreeBSD's default.

Excerpt from Greg Troxel:

  - UFS1 level 4, which has a "FFSv2-format superblock"
  - UFS2

> There are statements about UFS2 being better for multi-TB filesystems,
> but as far as I know UFS1 works fine.

> Another issue is that we have support for extended attributes in UFS1,
> but not UFS2 (I believe for no good reason, just that it was added in
> one place and not the other, but I'm not sure).  This is necessary for
> serving glusterfs.

I remember reading on Haiku web site (haiku-os.org), with reference to cross-compiling, that UFS2 supports extended attributes.  I also checked Wikipedia (Unix File System), and UFS2 supports extended attributes.

Would UFS1 level 4 also support extended attributes?

Haiku uses extended attributes, and I've been trying to cross-compile Haiku from FreeBSD and NetBSD, but no success so far.

Tom