Re: FFSv1 (UFS1) vs FFSv2 (UFS2)

On Thu, Jul 04, 2019 at 12:13:05AM +0700, Gua Chung Lim wrote:
> > If the partition is more than 2To, will the FFSv1 be unable to access
> > some blocks?
> AFAIK, FFS or FFS2 suports pretty big slice (much bigger than 2TB).
> The actual limitation is MBR. Maybe you have to use GPT.
> Correct me. if I'm wrong.

Yes, I use GPT since the MBR is limited to 32bits for #sectors of the
partition table.

I guess that my uncertainty about FFSv1 vs FFSv2 comes partly from this
confusion between fdisk(8) vs gpt(8) and the 32bits limit and the
mention of > 1To in newfs(8) man page.

But if somebody had numbers about tests comparing FFSv1 and FFSv2 and
the efficiency (for formatting, yes; but one formats only once; more
efficient for reading? For writing? More space for data and less for
metadata? Etc.)...
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/