Re: preparing netbsd boot straps from gnu/linux

pierre-philipp braun <pbraun%nethence.com@localhost> writes:

>> So an MBR with partition 1 is NetBDS, starting at ? and for 25G.
>> Presumably you made this with fdisk on linux.
>>
>> Then a NetBSD disklabel in that partition that you actually wrote?
>
> I do not write the disklabel.  Sector 1 of the netbsd partition has all
> zeroes.  Regarding the loading netbsd kernel this is not a problem: it
> can see fictious wd0e.

It is irregular to not have a disklabel on the netbsd system disk.  I
don't mean wrong, and I don't mean can't work.  But it is not normal.
The more you stray from normal, the greater the likelihood of trouble.

>> Then you probably ran Linux's newfs_ext2fs?  On what disk name, which
>> corresponds to what?
>
> mkfs.ext2 -O^dir_index /dev/sda1
>
> I also tried revision 0 of ext2 btw
>
> mkfs.ext2 -r0 /dev/sda1
>
> but netbsd now supports some features -- maybe even dir_index, but I get
> another big fat error when that is enabled: I enter the debugger with
> issues about mtree.

It should be possible to figure out ext2 compat issues locally, and
separate remote install issues from that.

> Ok this might be long so here's the full process
>
> http://pub.nethence.com/bsd/malabar

It is long but it really helps out people trying to help you.