Re: preparing netbsd boot straps from gnu/linux

pierre-philipp braun <pbraun%nethence.com@localhost> writes:

> Now that I have a working boot strapping model (just using `boot` right away would have been preferred over GRUB2 knetbsd)
>
> 	set default=0
> 	set timeout=5
>
> 	menuentry "netbsd wd0e" {
> 	        insmod ext2
> 	        set root=(hd0,msdos1)
> 	        knetbsd /netbsd -v --root=wd0e
> 	}

Please explain more thoroughly what you are doing.  That makes it seem
like you are loading the kernel from a FAT32 partition, and I can't tell
how many partitions of what kind you have and why.

> I am trying to get the system up and running.  I confirm I had to use `wd0e` and not `wd0c`, as with the latter I used to get
>
> 	boot device: wd0
> 	root on wd0c dumps on wd0b
> 	vfs_mountroot: can't open root device
> 	cannot mount root, error = 6
> 	root device (default wd0c):

wd0c is the alias for the entire NetBSD fdisk partition.  wd0d for the
entire physical disk.  It does not make sense to have a fs on wd0c.  If
you wanted that, you'd use the a or e slot with the same values, with a
netbsd fs type code.

> Now this is what happens at boot time with a carefully prepared ext2 file-system (`mkfs.ext2 -O^dir_index`).
>
> 	BAD SUPER BLOCK: VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK DISAGREE WITH THOSE IN FIRST ALTERNATE
>
> more details when trying fsck_ext2fs manually
>
> 	BAD SUPER BLOCK: VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK DISAGREE WITH THOSE IN FIRST ALTERNATE
> 	/dev/rwd0e: NOT LABELED AS A EXT2 FILE SYSTEM (4.2BSD)
>
> switching to fstype `Linux Ext2` makes it worse
>
> 	BAD SUPER BLOCK: VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK DISAGREE WITH THOSE IN FIRST ALTERNATE
> 	/dev/rwd0e: PARTITION SIZE IS 0

I am not following.  please be much clearer about what you are doing and
where the output is coming from.  I realize that you are posting the
part that you think is interesting, but the missing expected values are
critical context for others.

> I do not get it.  Mounting ext2 file-systems on NetBSD is usually not a problem at all, and the fictious disklabel looks good enough.  What would possibly prevent me from mouting the file-system?
>
> I even tried added ext2fs.kmod while loading the kernel but this is irrelevant as the kernel already has support for ext2, right?
>
> 	menuentry "netbsd wd0e ext2fs.kmod" {
> 	        insmod ext2
> 	        set root=(hd0,msdos1)
> 	        knetbsd /netbsd -v --root=wd0e
> 	        knetbsd_module_elf /stand/amd64/8.0/modules/ext2fs/ext2fs.kmod
> 	}

netbsd 8 GENERIC on amd64 does.