Re: preparing netbsd boot straps from gnu/linux

> So an MBR with partition 1 is NetBDS, starting at ? and for 25G.
> Presumably you made this with fdisk on linux.
>
> Then a NetBSD disklabel in that partition that you actually wrote?

I do not write the disklabel.  Sector 1 of the netbsd partition has all
zeroes.  Regarding the loading netbsd kernel this is not a problem: it
can see fictious wd0e.

> Then you probably ran Linux's newfs_ext2fs?  On what disk name, which
> corresponds to what?

mkfs.ext2 -O^dir_index /dev/sda1

I also tried revision 0 of ext2 btw

mkfs.ext2 -r0 /dev/sda1

but netbsd now supports some features -- maybe even dir_index, but I get
another big fat error when that is enabled: I enter the debugger with
issues about mtree.

> This is what I mean by really explaining what you did.

Ok this might be long so here's the full process

http://pub.nethence.com/bsd/malabar

> Overall, I suspect the best path is to crossbuild netbsd and use the
> netbsd tools under linux to make a netbsd install that is normal.
>
> The other path is to really understand how ext2fs is laid out and boot
> blocks, and also the issue about the differences in linux/netbsd ext2fs,
> and fix all of that.

That's clear