Re: sysinst(8), `Installing from an unmounted filesystem'

On 10/11/2018 7:26 PM, Robert Elz wrote:
   | For me, I address that with additional *drives* -- typically external.

Different problem/issue.   I don't care much about space any more, drives
have oddles of it, and it has become cheap (whatever connection method).
What matters is mount attributes,. filesystem config (block sizes, etc) - those
are typically not all the same (pkgsrc has lots of little files, so does better
woth small block/frag sizes 0 they're not written all that often, whereas other
srcs usually have bigger fiels, and perform better with slightly bigger blocks,
and distfiles tend to be hugs, so work best with big blocks (and usually no
frags at all).   For mount options, some want to be read only, some log, and
/usr/obj is typically async (if the system crashes,it can just ne newfs'd if it
gets mangled)

"Space is cheap".  And, modern hardware -- even older hardware -- is still
faster than my meatware.  So, no real need to try to eek out extra performance.
There's always something ELSE that can be done while waiting for a "make world"
to complete -- updating build notes, formal documentation, tweeking some other
sources, laying out a PCB, etc.  When the "make" finishes, it can sit there and
wait for *me* to get around to checking up on it!  (computers are much more
patient than people)

So, it's not worth my time trying to optimize a filesystem for a particular
use (space/speed).  I have (literally) hundreds of 500GB+ drives.  Keeping
track of where they are physically stored is the most pressing practical
issue (I already track their individual contents with a RDBMS but that doesn't
help me find "disk #74")

For me, the issue is one of consistency -- making sure I can access a medium
on different systems, etc.  (e.g., no ZFS, RAID, etc. or other FS that might
not be supported in every kernel)