Re: sysinst(8), `Installing from an unmounted filesystem'

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 07:54:39PM +0200, Rocky Hotas wrote:

> Yep, you are right - in my example it should have been "cd9660".

Ok!

In my case, the filesystem is automatically mounted in /mnt, so no parameter
is necessary for this. I've tried your example with the stock ISO image for
sparc64:

http://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/images/8.0/NetBSD-8.0-sparc64.iso

> Device: cd0a

File system: cd9660

> Base directory: /

> The other two should be pre-populated with working defaults

They refer (at least in my case) always to an hypothetical amd64 image (but
they have leading `/' and so, even for an amd64 ISO, it could be not the
best, for the reasons I'll write below).

Binary set directory: sparc64/binary/sets

> Now sysinst will do something like:

> cd /targetroot # this is where the to-be installed disk is mounted
> tar xpzf /mnt//sparc64/binary/sets/base.tgz

It is almost this way, but with

/mnt///sparc64/binary/sets/base.tgz

> Not quite, it will use progress -z, but you get the idea.

Yes, and thank you. Because of the odd triple `/', I tried also with these

Device: cd0a
File system: cd9660
Base directory: sparc64
Binary set directory: sparc64/binary/sets

This way, the installer looks for:

/mnt/sparc64/binary/sets/base.tgz

It looks prettier and I hope it would also be a correct alternative. It
seems that the installer looks for:

/<default_mount_directory>/<Base directory>/<Binary set directory>/<installation_set.tgz>

where all the `/' are automatically inserted.

What about the `Source set directories'? I didn't find it nor in the
sparc64, neither in the amd64 ISO.

In this case, the installer (obviously, when you selected some source set to
be installed in a Custom installation) looks for

/<default_mount_directory>/<Base directory>/<Source set directory>/<source_set.tgz>

Bye and thank you!

Rocky