Re: sysinst(8), `Installing from an unmounted filesystem'

    Date:        Thu, 11 Oct 2018 19:09:46 -0700
    From:        Don NetBSD <netbsd-embedded%gmx.com@localhost>

  | As I'm unlikely to build packages and the system at the same time, I
  | can have a smaller amount of "working space" (for .o's) if all of the
  | sources share a partition (/Sources).

I do that too, using ./usr/obj (more or less standard place) as a mouonted
filesys ... pkgsrc src and a whole bunch of other .../src all share the same
thing ... that's just mk.conf setup.

  | I have /usr/pkgsrc/distfiles point to /Sources/distfiles.  Then, I can put some
  | few sources there *or* mount a partition OVER /Sources/distfiles with a more
  | complete set of sources.

The names you use make no difference, you can do that either way.

I have no issue wuth the way that you set things up, except I'd suggest
/local/Sources (or something) rather than a mount point in /

  | For me, I address that with additional *drives* -- typically external.

Different problem/issue.   I don't care much about space any more, drives
have oddles of it, and it has become cheap (whatever connection method).
What matters is mount attributes,. filesystem config (block sizes, etc) - those
are typically not all the same (pkgsrc has lots of little files, so does better
woth small block/frag sizes 0 they're not written all that often, whereas other
srcs usually have bigger fiels, and perform better with slightly bigger blocks,
and distfiles tend to be hugs, so work best with big blocks (and usually no
frags at all).   For mount options, some want to be read only, some log, and
/usr/obj is typically async (if the system crashes,it can just ne newfs'd if it
gets mangled)

kre