Re: sysinst(8), `Installing from an unmounted filesystem'

    Date:        Wed, 10 Oct 2018 18:50:06 -0700
    From:        Don NetBSD <netbsd-embedded%gmx.com@localhost>

  | I've typically installed them under /usr/src,

That's the standard patrh, though they can go anywhere.

  | (though usually symlinked to a separate partition mounted as /Sources).

You can certainly do it that way, but why not just  mount the
partition as /usr/src and do away with the symlink?   That's cleaner,
and generally better - mounting things in the root directory (including /mnt)
can cause even worse problems than should occur should the device
holding the mounted filesystem ever hang (refuse to do anything, either
dur to software or hardware issues).

kre