Re: booting from gpt/raid?

My HP Envy laptop boots netbsd in both efi and bios modes, from internal sata disk and external usb one. Both modes are enabled simultaneously. My default efi boot is rEFInd, works fine for me. I installed NetBSD-current on some free space at the end of a gpt disk which already contained a couple of Linux distributions and some Windows data, following the outline described above. rEFInd also automatically recognises other systems on external disks and can boot them (usually; in some cases this didn't work, e.g. with a Fedora on some external mbr disk, in which case I had to get in front of rEFInd with F9 and choose the disk directly).

So obviously it depends on the bios/efi capabilities.

On Wed, 4 Jul 2018 at 08:51, Thomas Mueller <mueller6725%twc.com@localhost> wrote:
from MLH:

> Well, not so great. Once the bios detects an EFI boot drive on the
> system, it attempts to load that, regardless of any other non-EFI
> boot drive you specify. So to boot from the temp non-EFI boot drive,
> the EFI drives have to be disconnected until the NetBSD boot loader
> has started and then I apply power to the EFI drives to bring them
> up and then boot NetBSD.

> Somewhere in that scenario, to boot from the non-EFI drive, NetBSD
> started requiring to run /var/run/lvm and it wouldn't run.  The
> only way I could boot from that drive was to 'update' the os from
> cd again, so something apparently got hosed. No idea what.

> Needless to say, the EFI drives didn't boot. Not sure why yet.
> "Booting Operating System" showed then the cursor moved down,
> possibly attempting to display something, then kept cycling back
> and from bwtween those two.

My systems have UEFI, but I can boot USB sticks in non-EFI mode.

I can boot the System Rescue CD either way (UEFI or non-UEFI), written to USB stick.

Maybe it depends on the motherboard?

Tom