Re: booting from gpt/raid?

MLH wrote:
> Robert Elz wrote:
> > | The motherboard supposedly autodetects either efi or bios boot so
> > | I thought I might just go with efi first.
> >
> > That's interesting, as it is possible to have both setup...  I wonder
> > which it chooses then?
>
> Actually the manual isn't clear :
>
> - EFI CD/DVD Boot Option
>   Set the item to EFI if you want to install the operating system
>   to a hard drive larger that 2.2TB. Make sure the operating system
>   to be installed supports booting from a GPT partition, such as
>   Windows 7 64-bit and Windows Server 2003 64-bit. Auto lets the
>   BIOS automatically configure this setting depending on the hard
>   drive you install (Default: Auto).
>
> So it sounds like it is giving you an EFI option to do an EFI
> install from CD/DVD, whereupon it can then boot from a GPT-EFI boot
> partition using the Auto option.

Well, not so great. Once the bios detects an EFI boot drive on the
system, it attempts to load that, regardless of any other non-EFI
boot drive you specify. So to boot from the temp non-EFI boot drive,
the EFI drives have to be disconnected until the NetBSD boot loader
has started and then I apply power to the EFI drives to bring them
up and then boot NetBSD.

Somewhere in that scenario, to boot from the non-EFI drive, NetBSD
started requiring to run /var/run/lvm and it wouldn't run.  The
only way I could boot from that drive was to 'update' the os from
cd again, so something apparently got hosed. No idea what.

Needless to say, the EFI drives didn't boot. Not sure why yet.
"Booting Operating System" showed then the cursor moved down,
possibly attempting to display something, then kept cycling back
and from bwtween those two.