Re: booting from gpt/raid?

Robert Elz wrote:
> | The motherboard supposedly autodetects either efi or bios boot so
> | I thought I might just go with efi first.
>
> That's interesting, as it is possible to have both setup...  I wonder
> which it chooses then?

Actually the manual isn't clear :

- EFI CD/DVD Boot Option
  Set the item to EFI if you want to install the operating system
  to a hard drive larger that 2.2TB. Make sure the operating system
  to be installed supports booting from a GPT partition, such as
  Windows 7 64-bit and Windows Server 2003 64-bit. Auto lets the
  BIOS automatically configure this setting depending on the hard
  drive you install (Default: Auto).

So it sounds like it is giving you an EFI option to do an EFI
install from CD/DVD, whereupon it can then boot from a GPT-EFI boot
partition using the Auto option.

I thought I would install efi boot only first and see what happens.
Back up if that doesn't work.

> The one thing to watch with UEFI booting is that the firmware seems
> to be less likely to configure all the hardware than it used to with
> BIOS booting - some systems fail to boot in UEFI mode (or some
> hardware is not detected, or does not work) which all work fine in
> BIOS mode.   It is better in recent -current but still not perfect.
>
>   | The url above plus Robert's and Greg's instructions have me this
>   | far (wd2 shown only and doesn't include raid components yet):
>
> All looks OK to me (as far as it goes.)

Ok. Thanks. I'll proceed