Re: Updates to man-k.org

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 06:09:01PM +0530, Abhinav Upadhyay wrote:
> I didn't want to change the dropdown in the main search page to a
> checkbox based one, therefore put this on a page of its own. I will
> try to provide a hyperlink to it from the main page.

It's exciting to watch these improvements to man-k.org.

In case you were not aware, the web pages don't seem to be indexed by
author (try searching for Abhinav).

Here a couple of UI nits that you may or may not want to pick:

On my 15-inch laptop, the man-k.org homepage has several square inches
of blank space, plenty of room for all of the choices under the
dropdown.  If you replace the dropdown with checkboxes, then it will
take about half as long to make a selection, and the user can apprehend
more of the possibilities without exploring the page with the mouse.

Usually it is best if controls or gestures are one-to-one with choices:
consider using a pair of radio buttons instead of checkboxes to
select/deselect each OS, if space allows.

Dave

--
David Young
dyoung%pobox.com@localhost    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981