Re: Serial console setup

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016, Greg Troxel wrote:
You are not really wrong in theory.

Heh, whew.

There, getty waiting for open to succeed until CD was asserted made sense, especially when the modem/line was shared with outgoing UUCP.

Oh, I get what you are saying. Even back in the day I rarely put the console on a modem. Rather, as in my case, we'd just setup a "secure" getty on the modem (usually with mgetty, if possible since it tended to handle modems quite well). The only time I'd stick a modem on the console was when I had to ship machines to IT deserts in BFE and I had tested the snot outta the rig and had scripts in place to periodically poke-or-reset the modem, as needed.

I also wouldn't accept anything less than a top-of-the-line US Robotics Courier because rarely did other vendors meet their level of quality and speed. I had Zoom and Atmel modems that could never be relied upon if they were left to sit for too long with no calls/reset. I'd have never trusted those on a must-be-available-or-I'm-screwed-800-miles-away-console port.

A modem console would be beyond bizarre these days.

Heh, very true, but as strange as it is, I've seen it now and again even to this day. The main place is on EMC storage arrays where they take incoming calls from support to do things like system checks and firmware updates. They tend to get a lot less hassle from security folks for whatever reason. I haven't seen it on the newer VMAX chassis, but the older Symmetrix "DMX" line used modems quite a bit and people still use them. There is an outfit on the East coast that still maintains them via dial-in, too. Of course, it's not exactly the same thing because I think those machines they are either DOS or Windows machines running some kind or remote access package (ie.. not gettys). I've also run into refrigeration controllers and digital signage systems that also still run on modems, but again these are embedded devices, not Unix boxen.

My point was really that if the cables are not wired up right and DCD ends up not asserted (there are a lot of wrong serial cables out there), then it seems better to just have the console work, rather than not work.

I get it now, and I get why you said it and it makes good sense. Ie.. In this case, folks can debate which pins to set high or not, but "working" is considerably more comfortable than "broken" no matter what "standard" is getting violated or who thinks that's not the ideal wiring scheme. Right on. :-)

Thanks for explaining.

-Swift