Re: Serial console setup

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016, Greg Troxel wrote:
Are you saying that the console device itself will refrain from output if either DSR or CD is not asserted? I can see the point of DSR but requiring CD for a console seems non-helpful.

Hmm, out of ignorance, ('cause I wouldn't gainsay you, Greg!) why? Carrier detect is pretty modem-ish, but my simple understanding is that when using a null modem, you want to connect DCD to DTR and the same for DSR. I've even built cables this way and they worked. It's all just non-magical 12V low/high. That way you've got a "high" signal telling you "Yeah, it's cool to talk. We're connected." For a modem, that has the additional meaning "You've got a carrier signal" rather than just "The cable got plugged in.".

Straigten me out, guys. Am I wrong?

-Swift