Re: Serial console setup

gson%gson.org@localhost (Andreas Gustafsson) writes:

>jgw%sdf.org@localhost wrote:
>> Also, I was looking through the mlist archives and saw mention that
>> /dev/console was suppose to be replaced by /dev/constty ?  Maybe that's
>> the issue?

>I don't think so, since the stock /etc/ttys has

>console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
>constty "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   off secure

console gets redirected when you run X (in particular xconsole).
Running getty there isn't very helpful.

In that case you can run getty on ttyE0 (for machines with wscons)
or constty (for machines with serial console).

>I always use crossover cables that ensure CD is asserted by wiring
>both DSR and CD to the DTR pin of the other end, but if yours doesn't,
>I would have thought the "local" keyword in /etc/ttys would take care
>of that.  Or maybe you need to use "softcar" instead?

local or softcar is fine for getty, but it doesn't influence the
low level console. So depending on hardware you may require the
proper cable.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost