Re: NetBSD install and usage by the blind

On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 09:37:36 +0100
Adam Thompson <arthompson1990%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> That'd definitely work, and as you say, it'd be easy to see if
> someone else had already started the install.  I guess this'd be a
> separate piece of software which was then "crunched" into the single
> binary in some way?

I'm not too familiar with the internals of the INSTALL kernel but yes,
I suppose that it could be added in just before the call to sysinst.
It would attempt DHCP and if successful fork and, in the child,
listen on the first ethernet port, on connection attach it to stdin and
stdout and then exec sysinst.

Since there would then potentially be two sysinsts running I guess
sysinst would have to grow some sort of locking mechanism to make sure
that it doesn't install twice.  There's also the issue of a simple way
of figuring out what IP address the machine gets from DHCP.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/ IM:darcy%Vex.Net@localhost