Re: NetBSD install and usage by the blind

On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 11:43:14PM -0400, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 20:27:16 +0000 (UTC)
> mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost (Michael van Elst) wrote:
> > Unfortunately it doesn't inlcude an sshd, all commands are statically
> > linked into a big "crunched" binary, it is limited in size and the
> > default sshd build includes every feature but the kitchen sink.
>
> Even if you have sshd installed there is still logins, keys, etc.  to
> deal with.  Maybe telnetd is good enough.  Perhaps limit access to the
> local network for a bit more security.

Yeah, that could work.  In my particular case my network's firewalled and I know
whos using it at any given time, but for a general solution it could be risky.

> In fact, how about a really simple daemon that sits on the tty
> waiting for a connection which just execs the installer without
> forking or running login(1)?  That prevents a second installer running
> and it's safe enough.  If someone did manage to beat you to the
> installer you would simply reboot and try again.

That'd definitely work, and as you say, it'd be easy to see if someone else had
already started the install.  I guess this'd be a separate piece of software
which was then "crunched" into the single binary in some way?

Regards,
Adam.