Re: NetBSD install and usage by the blind

On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 10:49:12AM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> Installation usually requires access to a console, and the default PC
> console is a physical keyboard and VGA display. I'm not aware of any
> easy solution to make that accessible and googling for BIOS access
> for blind people didn't reveal anything either.

Yes, unfortunately that's the case, hence the requirement for either an
automated install or some sort of accessibility (braille display support or
speech) in the installer.

> Some PCs have remote management support (e.g. ILO for HP servers
> or Intel AMT). But these usually provide some graphical user interface
> or web interface only. Nothing you could easily make accessible.

Indeed, and the machine in question has no remote management in any case.

> So that leaves a serial console as a possibility. For this the PC
> needs a real serial port, a USB<->serial adapter is not enough.

I suspected as much.

> If you have a serial console you need an install CD that is configured
> for serial console. Or if you have a network, you can create a PXE
> boot server and configure the PXE bootloader to use a serial console.
>
> The installer works from a serial console. It does have a full screen
> display, nothing command like. But I think that is something you
> can use.

I'm not sure if the box has serial, thinking about it it may well do.  In which
case, how does one get an appropriately configured install cd?

> Saying this. It's probably not much work to create a version of the
> install system that does a DHCP network configuration and starts sshd.

That'd be great since I know the machine's set up for this kind of installation
(it has previously been installed this way with a different os and I never
altered the boot order) and I already run a dhcp server which I can set up to do
this.  Any idea how to go about creating that kind of installer?

Regards,
Adam.