Re: xHCI not working on ASUS F555 laptop

=> On Jan 7, 2016, at 5:08, Gary Duzan <gary%duzan.org@localhost> wrote:
=>>
=>> In Message <47820a2c8eb.b1d47ba%mail.owl.de@localhost>,
=>>   Frank Wille <frank%phoenix.owl.de@localhost>wrote:
=>>
=>> =>Hi,
=>> =>
=>> =>I was given an Asus F555L laptop for installing NetBSD. It came with
=>> FreeDOS
=>> =>preinstalled and looked like it could be a nice NetBSD laptop. The
=>> intel
=>> =>graphics and HD audio are working great.
=>> =>
=>> =>WLAN (AR9485) does not work, but I expected nothing else.
=>> =>
=>> =>A serious problem though, is the lack of USB. The intel xHCI USB
=>> device is
=>> =>not recognized by a generic 7.0 kernel. Here is the complete dmesg:
=>> =>
=>> => [...]
=>>
=>>   xhci is commented-out in the GENERIC kernel, even on -current:
=>>
=>> # xhci* at pci? dev ? function ?        # eXtensible Host Controller
=>>                                        # xhci is at best experimental
=>> # usb*  at xhci?
=>>
=>> If you want to try it, uncomment these or try an ALL kernel.
=>
=> Is the problem a complete lack of USB, or just lack of xHCI? I'd expect
=> ehci to work with a GENERIC kernel and provide USB 2.0 support.

   Good question. According to
https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/X555LA/specifications/ , this machine
has two USB 3.0 ports and one USB 2.0 port. Does the USB 2.0 port work?

   Not having full USB 3.0 support is IMHO a serious black mark against
NetBSD on modern hardware. Is anyone actively working on it? Are there
particular known obstacles? I could perhaps spend some time on it
myself if pointed in the right direction.

                                 Gary Duzan