Re: more pilot error

On 07/15/15 19:57, Brett Lymn wrote:
On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 07:48:41PM -0453, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
On 07/15/15 17:00, Greg Troxel wrote:
rpcbind is used to translate service names to ports.  Why do you not
want to run it?  Before anything else, turn it on and reboot and only
when it works with try without.
Very well, I enabled it in my rc.conf file & did a 'rc.d/nfsd start' & I
now get the following line in my messages file:

Jul 15 19:30:12 4256EE1 nfsd[981]: can't register with udp portmap

The man page is mum about this, as (mostly) is Google. Any help appreciated.

This is what I have in my rc.conf, nfs works fine:

# NFS daemons and parameters.
#
rpcbind=YES
mountd=YES              mountd_flags=""         # NFS mount requests
daemon
nfs_client=YES                                  # enable client daemons
nfs_server=YES                                  # enable server daemons
                         nfsd_flags="-6tun 4"

you probably don't need the client daemons.  If it still doesn't work,
post up an output from rpcinfo.

OK, here goes:

from my rc.conf:

# If this is not set to YES, the system will drop into single-user mode.
#
rc_configured=YES

# Add local overrides below
#

hostname=4256EE1.CFD.COM
defaultroute="192.168.0.254"

sshd=YES
timed=YES
wscons=YES

# NFS daemons and parameters.
#
rpcbind=YES
mountd=YES              mountd_flags=""         # NFS mount requests daemon
lockd=YES               lockd_flags=""
statd=YES               statd_flags=""
nfs_client=YES                                  # enable client daemons
nfs_server=YES          nfsd_flags="-6tun 4"    # enable server daemons

amd=YES

& the results:

4256EE1 # rc.d/nfsd  start
Starting nfsd.
4256EE1 # rc.d/nfsd  status
nfsd is not running.
4256EE1 # rpcinfo
rpcinfo: Can't contact rpcbind (: RPC: Remote system error - No such file or directory)
4256EE1 # uname -a
NetBSD 4256EE1.CFD.COM 6.1.5 NetBSD 6.1.5 (GENERIC) amd64
4256EE1 #

Same thing w/ the lockd & statd lines commented out. Thanks & TIA ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                           -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.