Re: Minor setup issues

On Jul 15, 2015, at 5:29 PM, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:

On 07/15/15 12:24, Greg Troxel wrote:
"William A. Mahaffey III" <wam%hiwaay.net@localhost> writes:

Following recommendations I now login to root by su, rather than
directly at the console. When I do, none of my aliases get set &
filename completion using the tab key doesn't work.
man su, see -m

install and then man sudo, see -E

I use "sudo -E $(SHELL)", more or less, to get a shell that's just like
mine, but with uid 0.

I think this has to be a typo, command substitution is not warranted
$SHELL or ${SHELL} is what's meant, also I think, you just try '-l'
w/ su , or "sue tack el".  and not  "Install, [and configure], and then
man sudo "
You're the only admin for this system? Sudo would have use your user login password to get root, not root's password.

Also, I'd recommend against "su -m" "leaving environment unchanged." I'd say remember that exists, to rescue a broken .profile etc, but avoid
habitual use, and just change the directory, after becoming root.
You want your profile read, right? Not changes to PATH, etc done at command line?