Re: Raid1/LVM layout via installer

gour%atmarama.net@localhost (Gour) writes:

>Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> writes:

>> This isn't as cool as you might think because [you can't | it's too hard
>> to] resize raidframe disks.

>Uhh, this limitation is *-BSD related?

>Iirc, that was/is not the case on Linuxâ?¦

Linux md can grow can resize and relayout RAID sets to some degree
but raidframe cannot.

This is independent from LVM which can grow or shrink volumes, but
NetBSD cannot mirror volumes (yet) within LVM. Some people don't
use mirroring on Linux either, but prefer to setup LVM on a md mirror
instead, but that is changing.

And this is even more independent from the _filesystem_. Usually resizing
is restricted to either offline filesystems (unmounted) or just allows
growing. In NetBSD so far you can only resize offline filesystems.

>So, it looks that using LVM on NetBSD is not very good ideaâ?¦which leaves us
>with RAID-1 only, so Iâ??ll try that under vbox first.

LVM on RAID-1 is good for data disks or partitions. For the system it
is rarely useful and it is not really supported for the root disk
itself. Using a RAID-1 partition however is.

>Considering my intended usage of NetBSD is the desktop machine (with 16G of
>RAM), how much HD space would you dedicate for / & /home on 1TB disk?

My usual setup is to have separate root, usr and var partitions.

200MB   /
2GB     swap
20GB    /usr
1GB     /var
rest    /home

and a tmpfs for /tmp.

If you plan for kernel debugging and crash dumps, you want a larger
swap partition, at least as large as your RAM.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost