Re: Raid1/LVM layout via installer

Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> writes:

> This isn't as cool as you might think because [you can't | it's too hard
> to] resize raidframe disks.

Uhh, this limitation is *-BSD related?

Iirc, that was/is not the case on Linux…

> With raidframe, the first 64 sectors are the raidframe header, so you
> can't do that.

Hmm…

> My advice is to get an extra disk, perhaps small and install onto that
> just enough to work, and then set up the real disks with lvm/raidframe
> by hand and unpack sets and configure booting.

That’s a bit cumbersome…

> You'll want netbsd-7 at
> least if you want to use gpt and boot from it.

Ok, that’s what I’m planning to do.

> I don't know if booting from lvm works.
>
> Why do you want to use LVM for your system/main partition?

Well, for many years I’m simply accustomed to have my whole OS under LVM in
order to be able to resize partitions if such need arises.

However, since recent time it was not required any longer when I was using
btrfs which abstracts both LVM and RAID-1, similar to ZFS on Free/PC-BSD.

So, it looks that using LVM on NetBSD is not very good idea…which leaves us
with RAID-1 only, so I’ll try that under vbox first.

Considering my intended usage of NetBSD is the desktop machine (with 16G of
RAM), how much HD space would you dedicate for / & /home on 1TB disk?

Or should I simply simplify setup and just use / & swap as recommended by
installer?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
He who is satisfied with gain which comes of its own accord, who
is free from duality and does not envy, who is steady in both