Re: Raid1/LVM layout via installer

Gour <gour%atmarama.net@localhost> writes:

>> This isn't as cool as you might think because [you can't | it's too hard
>> to] resize raidframe disks.
>
> Uhh, this limitation is *-BSD related?

Not really *BSD, but that raidframe doeasn't have code to resize raid
partitions.  You probably could implement that.

>> Why do you want to use LVM for your system/main partition?
>
> Well, for many years I’m simply accustomed to have my whole OS under LVM in
> order to be able to resize partitions if such need arises.
>
> However, since recent time it was not required any longer when I was using
> btrfs which abstracts both LVM and RAID-1, similar to ZFS on Free/PC-BSD.

It's a big project, but making openzfs work on netbsd would be great.

> So, it looks that using LVM on NetBSD is not very good idea…which leaves us
> with RAID-1 only, so I’ll try that under vbox first.
>
> Considering my intended usage of NetBSD is the desktop machine (with 16G of
> RAM), how much HD space would you dedicate for / & /home on 1TB disk?

I am old school and tend to have more separate partitions.   What I'd do
is

4G / (because /var might get big)
8G swap (for sparse dumps)
64G /usr  (/usr/pkg, system only)
rest /home

That doesn't use all that much of your space in non-/home.  When /home
gets full, it will be time to get a 5T disk anyway.

> Or should I simply simplify setup and just use / & swap as recommended by
> installer?

I really like having a small / that is less likely to get damaged.   But
I don't think it's really necessary any more.   You could have a 64 G /
(that also has /usr and /var)

Your comments about resize and LVM are fair, but I don't think not
having it really hurts much.

You could also try making a raid1 of the whole disk, and then within
that /dev/rraid0d do LVM.   I suspect the boot blocks aren't going to
quite work (but actually I don't know).