Re: Making a localized, educational live-usb version of Netbsd? Possible, and is worth it?

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:

> On 5 April 2014 16:56, Aleksej Saushev <asau%inbox.ru@localhost> wrote:
>> LiveCD is of no use to people who have no functional CD drive
>> or no CD drive at all. This is why it is the wrong approach.
>
> By livecd I meant any system which is not installed to local hard disk
> and resets itself after reboot. It doesn't have to boot from a CD, it
> can boot from any removable media, the principle is the same.

Live CD is significantly different from live USB pen drive and SD card,
it has to be in a separate category because building it is based on
completely different principle. Same for live DVD.
Because "any removable medium" covers CD and DVD, you should stop
thinking about "any removable medium" and think about useful ones.

This also explains why mklivecd and other live CD products are useless.
They point you in the direction of working around limitations of hardware
that is largely irrelevant to your needs. USB pen drives and SD cards
are almost like regular hard drives. They free you from those limitations,
so you can concentrate on solving your immediate problems.

Once you understand that what you actually want is basically an image of
hard drive of small capacity, you'll understand that you could have
prepared some early prototype of your system already. This is really
a matter of three-four hours as I tested when wrote the script mentioned
in this message: