Re: Import sysupdate into NetBSD [was: Re: WARNING pseudorandom rekeying]

Hi Fredrik,

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 22:18:38 +0100 Fredrik Pettai wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2014, at 09:31 , Brett Lymn <blymn%internode.on.net@localhost>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 03:41:57PM +0100, Fredrik Pettai wrote:
> >>
> >> Speaking of good procedures of updating the base system, isn't it time
> >> to import "sysupgrade" (pkgsrc/sysutils/sysupgrade) into the NetBSD now?
> >
> > Yes. sysupdate - Julian Fagir actually did some good work for the last
> > Google Summer of Code.  We should be importing this.
>
> (I've been using jmmv's sysupgrade for some time now, and that works good.
> Updating NetBSD with it have becoming faster & simpler, saving time.)
> I also tried to test sysupdate
> (http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2013/jdf/5822463824887808)
> However, it's not possible to simply test it by pointing it at the regular
> NetBSD releases, as it requires extra data to be present on the ftp server
> (referring to the mtree/<RELEASE>/set.XXX checksum files).

when GSoC ended, I wrote a blog article about the project:

    http://www.komkon2.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=blog:gsoc_is_over

I planned to publish it also on the NetBSD blog, but I don't remember why
this didn't happen.

The checksum and mtree files are the real problem: This would need a larger
integration in the NetBSD build infrastructure. I don't know how much work
this would actually be, so far there are two scripts that would have to be
run by me to update the mtree and checksum files.

> - I guess a modification to "build.sh distribution" needs be added that
> also export the mtree dir + set files together with sets, to ease the
> distribution of the releases then they are made available on the ftp.

No, build.sh will be fine. If you have the tarballs visible inside your
filesystem, sysupdate would not check for changed files.

> - I also noted that "sysbackup soft" isn't working according to the usage
> output you get from itself. (however, "man sysbackup" indicates that there
> are more mandatory arguments needed...)

The documentation needs to be updated. Benny started with this, but I didn't
push the changes yet. Anyway, the most recent version is in my repository.

> - sysrollback(8) is mentioned in sysbackup(8), but it's not bundled with
> the package (alias for sysbackup?)
>
> - Tracking daily built releases (like netbsd-6) doesn't seem to work
> (although, that's not a major goal for this tool)
> Are there any updates/fixes that to sysupdate & sysbackup somewhere? (the
> version I'm trying is 0.9)
>
> What the next steps?

There are some smaller issues, and Benny already started reviewing the code.
The reason I didn't continue pushing for it is simple: When I had the time, I
was waiting for reviews, and now I got the OK, but don't have time anymore.
If anybody else would like to import it, he should free to do so (but maybe
contact me beforehand), I personally won't have time for this before summer.

Regards, Julian