Scanning and printing on USB printer/scanner combination

Hello,

is there a way to enable both scanning and printing on the same
scanner/printer combo device?

I have a Samsung CLX-3185 which is currently attached to /dev/ulpt0.
However, SANE is unable to find it there so I'm guessing I have to
recompile the kernel with the ulpt disabled so that it won't attach and
the printer will attach itself as a generic USB device.

Will printing still be possible? (In this case, does the ulpt0 device
even make sense to be enabled by default in the GENERIC kernel?)

Best,

Moritz