Re: Scanning and printing on USB printer/scanner combination

Moritz Wilhelmy <mw+netbsd%barfooze.de@localhost> writes:

> is there a way to enable both scanning and printing on the same
> scanner/printer combo device?
>
> I have a Samsung CLX-3185 which is currently attached to /dev/ulpt0.
> However, SANE is unable to find it there so I'm guessing I have to
> recompile the kernel with the ulpt disabled so that it won't attach and
> the printer will attach itself as a generic USB device.

It seems that multi-function devices often need manufacturer-specific
drivers.

Omitting ulpt0 is a good plan; then perhaps cups or something can use
libusb to ugen.  HP printers seem to work better that way.

> Will printing still be possible? (In this case, does the ulpt0 device
> even make sense to be enabled by default in the GENERIC kernel?)

That's a tough call.  Some devices work better with ulpt0; we probably
really need a giant quirk table that chooses ulpt0 for devices that
don't have a better option.  So far this hasn't happened, I think due to
lack of anyone spending enough time.