dynamic authenticated tunnel set-up

In the not-too-distant future, I'll be moving overseas, to a location where fixed IPv4 network addresses are unavailable (or at least, they will be prohibitively expensive!)

I'm planning to get a virtual machine in a US location, with a single fixed IPv4 address. All of my other machines will be sitting behind some ISP's NAT device. And that ISP doesn't do IPv6.

I would like to set things up so that my US-based virtual host is a backup MX mail server for my domain, and one of the behind-the-NAT machines would be the primary mail server.

I can get an adequate supply of fixed IPv6 addresses from the company that hosts the US-based virtual machine, so I can assign addresses to the behind-the-NAT machines. But I would need some sort of tunnel between the virtual host and the rest of the machines.

I know I can set this up using "ssh -w" and tun(4) devices, but the ssh man page seems to indicate that this is not necessarily a good solution (due to significant overhead?).

So I'm looking for other options.  My primary requirements are fairly simple:

* the tunnel needs to be established regardless of the address/port being used on the behind-the-NAT end

* the tunnel establishment must be authenticated in some manner, so that only my systems can connect

* the outer (encapsulating) protocol must be IPv4, while the inner (encapsulated) protocol must be IPv6

* it would also be highly desired that the tunnel establishment occur automatically, and with automatic retry if the connection drops

Any suggestions on something simple?

| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |