Re: Trying to boot from USB pendrive image on a netbook

> Havard, thank you for your support. I saw a message (in 2012) from you
> stating that for 2230 there was not yet a similar driver because it was a
> different family of device, and there was not yet a port in freebsd or
> openbsd.
> https://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2012/10/19/msg011722.html
>
> I'm assuming in dmesg I should consider the line that says:
> vendor 0x168c product 0x0032 (miscellaneous network, revision 0x01) at pci2
> dev0 function 0 not configured

That's not an Intel Centrino wireless, it's an Atheros "AR9485
Wireless LAN" device, at least according to sys/dev/pci/pcidevs.

It doesn't look like it'll be matched with the -current versions
of athn, and probably not by the ath driver either. :(

> Back to 2230 driver, there's an upgraded version of iwn for freebsd that
> includes the centrino 2230 - maybe the link below is useful (I don't know
> exactly what to do with it though):
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=258829
>
> Should I try using this freebsd driver...?

That implies switching to freebsd -- you can always test that, of
course.  Just plonking the freebsd driver into the netbsd tree is
not a simple matter, unfortunately, due to various kernel API
differences between these two BSDs.

BTW, it doesn't look like the revision mentioned above was the
one which introduced the Centrino 2230 in the FreeBSD driver,
that appears instead to have been done with:

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/dev/iwn/if_iwn.c?r1=252727&r2=253611

which simply adds the device-IDs.  However, I don't know whether
just doing the same in our driver will actually make it work --
there may be other changes we have not picked up which such
support depends on...

Regards,

- Håvard