Re: Install i386 or amd64?

  {

  }

  {

  }

--
> Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com

I read the FreeBSD wiki page for i386-wine and saw that building under amd64
required building an i386 installation to /compat/i386, so I figured it made
more sense to install to a separate partition or removable disk such as USB,
and the to use under amd64, mount on /compat/i386.

Julian, which BSDs do you work with?

I don't know if this would work for NetBSD, but I notice a bundle of COMPATs in
GENERIC kernel config:

options         COMPAT_OSSAUDIO
options         COMPAT_NETBSD32
options         COMPAT_LINUX
options         COMPAT_LINUX32  # req. COMPAT_LINUX and COMPAT_NETBSD32
options         EXEC_ELF32
options         COMPAT_BSDPTY   # /dev/[pt]ty?? ptys.

But just because it's there doesn't mean it works, as I've found with NetBSD.

On building i386-wine, I am mainly interested in FreeBSD and Linux, since there
are so many other things that can go wrong with NetBSD.

I've built modular (pkgsrc) xorg, and it either doesn't start at all, or mouse
pointer moves horizontally but not up and down, meaning crippled.

X also fails to start in OpenBSD 5.4 live USB (liveusb-openbsd.sourceforge.net).

OpenBSD 5.3 live USB could startx, but mouse pointer was invisible but present,
as I could see by which parts of the screen became active.

FreeBSD is much stabler than NetBSD on my hardware.

OpenBSD is crippled by lack of support for GPT and USB 3.0, meaning unable to
read my hard drive.

DragonFlyBSD, in the latest release, dd'ed to USB stick, saw my hard-disk
partitions but couldn't mount any, and I can't mount the DragonFly file system
on the USB stick from FreeBSD or NetBSD.

But I am interested in the NetBSD code for devices re and athn.

Another instance of code porting, this time from OpenBSD to FreeBSD, was device
rsu, which enables Internet access for my new computer with MSI Z77 MPOWER
motherboard using Hiro H50191 USB-stick wireless adapter.

Tom