Re: Install i386 or amd64?

"Thomas Mueller" wrote:
> > > Not to argue that i386/PAE is just as functional as amd64, but having an
> > > i386 installation is useful for some applications that only work on
> > > 32-bit, such
> > as wine, though I believe there is early development for 64-bit.
>
> > > I want to test and hopefully benefit from MS-Windows functionality, but
> > > this does not bar having amd64 and i386 installations on different (GPT)
> > partitions or different drives.
>
> > > I want to do that with FreeBSD (wine) and Linux where I'd have better
> > > chance of success than with NetBSD.
>
> > Tom
>
> > FYI no wine on latest FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE amd64
> > cd /usr/ports/emulators/wine ; make
> >         ===>  wine-1.6.1,1 is only for i386, while you are running amd64.
> > cd /usr/ports/emulators/wine-devel ; make
> >         ===>  wine-devel-1.7.8,1 is only for i386, while you are running
> > amd64.
>
> > Cheers,
> > Julian
>
> I believe there is early development for 64-bit wine, but that comes from
> winehq.org.
>
> Early development is not good enough for productive use or for adding to
> FreeBSD ports.
>
> But i386 wine can be run from amd64 and will run 32-bit but not 64-bit
> MS-Windows apps.
>
> Or does this not work on FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE amd64?

See above for as I thought it was:
  {
  I've always trusted that error message to be correct, so I've never
  bothered to explicity ignore it & take time to manually hand force
  an install to then test.

  ( I don't want any MS programs except very occasionaly GPS, camera
    & phone device loaders, & they'd most likely fail as an emulator
    would also need to support USB ).
  }

HOWEVER :-) I just found on FreeBSD current ports/
        emulators/i386-wine-devel
which means its available now !
  {
  emulators/i386-wine-devel is not in FreeBSD-9.1 ports/ but is in
  FreeBSD-9.2 & 10.0 ports/

  i386-wine-devel on amd64 10.0-RELEASE, make install emits:
        ===>  i386-wine-devel-1.7.8,1 binaries compiled for FreeBSD 8.3+ and
9.1+ only.
        *** Error code 1

  amd64 FreeBSD-9.2-RELEASE emulators/i386-wine-devel compiles & installs !
  wine gunzip.exe will run ! ...
  ( well OK it brought up more screens & messages to think about,
    which I wont pursue but you could. )

  Confirmation here FreeBSD-9.2 ports/emulators/i386-wine-devel/Makefile.inc
    COMMENT=32bit Microsoft Windows compatibility environment for 64bit FreeBSD

  Sources:
    http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/emulators/i386-wine-devel/

  I dont see a similarly named i386-wine-devel equivalent in NetBSD, just
  http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/emulators/wine(|-(current|devel))/

  So there'd be work to do, but it gives a start.

  PS I'm not trying to tempt anyone from one BSD to another BSD,
  but happy to see code sharing both ways, eg i386-wine Free > Net,
  as& dev urtwn was Net to Free etc.
  }

> Anyway, my wine installation is to be built on separate i386 installation
> which could be mounted on /compat/i386 when run from amd64.
>
> Tom

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Interleave replies below like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".