Re: Install i386 or amd64?

"Thomas Mueller" wrote:

> > > I believe there is early development for 64-bit wine, but that comes from
> > > winehq.org.
>
> > > Early development is not good enough for productive use or for adding to
> > > FreeBSD ports.
>
> > > But i386 wine can be run from amd64 and will run 32-bit but not 64-bit
> > > MS-Windows apps.
>
> > > Or does this not work on FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE amd64?
>
> > See above for as I thought it was:
>   {
> >   I've always trusted that error message to be correct, so I've never
> >   bothered to explicity ignore it & take time to manually hand force
> >   an install to then test.
>
> >   ( I don't want any MS programs except very occasionaly GPS, camera
> >     & phone device loaders, & they'd most likely fail as an emulator
> >     would also need to support USB ).
>   }
>
> > HOWEVER :-) I just found on FreeBSD current ports/
> >         emulators/i386-wine-devel
> > which means its available now !
>   {
> >   emulators/i386-wine-devel is not in FreeBSD-9.1 ports/ but is in
> >   FreeBSD-9.2 & 10.0 ports/
>
> >   i386-wine-devel on amd64 10.0-RELEASE, make install emits:
> >         ===>  i386-wine-devel-1.7.8,1 binaries compiled for FreeBSD 8.3+
> > and 9.1+ only.
> >         *** Error code 1
>
> >   amd64 FreeBSD-9.2-RELEASE emulators/i386-wine-devel compiles & installs !
> >   wine gunzip.exe will run ! ...
> >   ( well OK it brought up more screens & messages to think about,
> >     which I wont pursue but you could. )
>
> >   Confirmation here FreeBSD-9.2 ports/emulators/i386-wine-devel/Makefile.inc
> >     COMMENT=32bit Microsoft Windows compatibility environment for 64bit
> > FreeBSD
>
> >   Sources:
> >     http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/emulators/i386-wine-devel/
>
> >   I dont see a similarly named i386-wine-devel equivalent in NetBSD, just
> >
> > http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/emulators/wine(|-(current|devel))/
>
> >   So there'd be work to do, but it gives a start.
>
> >   PS I'm not trying to tempt anyone from one BSD to another BSD,
> >   but happy to see code sharing both ways, eg i386-wine Free > Net,
> >   as& dev urtwn was Net to Free etc.
>   }
>
> > > Anyway, my wine installation is to be built on separate i386 installation
> > > which could be mounted on /compat/i386 when run from amd64.
> >
> > Tom

> I read the FreeBSD wiki page for i386-wine and saw that building under amd64
> required building an i386 installation to /compat/i386, so I figured it made
> more sense to install to a separate partition or removable disk such as USB,
> and the to use under amd64, mount on /compat/i386.
>
> Julian, which BSDs do you work with?

Just FreeBSD on x86 & amd64,
  since I sold my pc532 (NS32000 CPU) running NetBSD,
  but I'm thinking of installing a NetBSD partition to see if urtwn device
  interface performs better on a nano size Edimax EW-7811Un,
  (it dissapears on FreeBSD, I suspect/ possible over-heating)
  (urtwn came from Net to Free, & newer sources in NetBSD, last I looked).

> I don't know if this would work for NetBSD, but I notice a bundle of COMPATs
> in GENERIC kernel config:
>
> options         COMPAT_OSSAUDIO
> options         COMPAT_NETBSD32
> options         COMPAT_LINUX
> options         COMPAT_LINUX32  # req. COMPAT_LINUX and COMPAT_NETBSD32
> options         EXEC_ELF32
> options         COMPAT_BSDPTY   # /dev/[pt]ty?? ptys.

No COMPAT_OSSAUDIO in FreeBSD, so above are NetBSD COMPATs,
FreeBSD-10 /sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC has:
        options    COMPAT_FREEBSD32        # Compatible with i386 binaries
        options    COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # Compatible with FreeBSD4
        options    COMPAT_FREEBSD5         # Compatible with FreeBSD5
        options    COMPAT_FREEBSD6         # Compatible with FreeBSD6
        options    COMPAT_FREEBSD7         # Compatible with FreeBSD7
+ files ref. COMPAT_12 COMPAT_32BIT COMPAT_3COM COMPAT_43 COMPAT_AOUT
COMPAT_ARCH32 COMPAT_DLINK COMPAT_IBCS2 COMPAT_LINUX COMPAT_LINUX32
COMPAT_MSQ COMPAT_OLDSOCK COMPAT_OLD_DES3 COMPAT_OLD_DES3_SELECTED
COMPAT_PRELITE2 COMPAT_SVR4

> But I am interested in the NetBSD code for devices re and athn.

http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?re++NetBSD-current
        The re device driver first appeared in FreeBSD 5.2 and was
        ported to NetBSD 2.0.

Net & Free both have ath, but only Net has athn.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Interleave replies below like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".