Re: Install i386 or amd64?

> I have a full Win 7 64 bit installation on wd0.
>
> Office 14 is in /Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Office/Office14/,
> therefore I assume this is a 32 bit application.
>
> Would I be able to run it under Wine if I had a 32 bit installation
> of Netbsd?

Given that wine by itself works as one wants it to, and that you can
use it to 32-bit Windows-Applications, it doesn't matter where they are
installed. You need access to all DLL's the application is depending
on, but if you can assure that, I think it should be possible.

And yes, Windows 7 64-bit has two directories under which Software is
installed. "Program Files" for 64-bit Software and "Program Files
(x86)" for 32-bit Software.

But the location of the files is not all you need. You also will most
likely need access to registry-entries made by the installer. You might
have some problems with them, especially as even the registry is split
up in 64-bit (all normal trees) and 32-Bit Windows-on-Windows Subtrees.
I don't know if MS Office makes use of those sub-trees, but be aware
that they exist. See my blog-post about gnupg/sylpheed [1] for more
information regarding this registry-issue. To avoid such problems, a
new installation using wine might be wiser - but I don't know, I am by
far no wine-expert. My last experiences with wine date back to 2005,
and then I failed with using wine alone, so I bought CrossOver Office
and use that to work with the Windows Applications I needed under
Linux. There wasn't really much talk about 64-bit back then in the
mainstream windows world :)

- Volkmar

--
http://www.dimensionv.de/