Install i386 or amd64?

Hi List,
some question about the system families.

I have to change my laptop, my nostalgic Thinkpad x31 blew up (I really
liked it). Successor will be a Lenovo B590. I wonder what NetBSD will be
ideal for it.

The processor of this laptop is a 64bit thing, its of the Intel i3 family.
And the NetBSD/amd64 states, that it is designed for '64-bit x86
architecture' and 'this covers all recent AMD and Intel models'.

Before I download the iso and experiment with compatibility I would like
to get some ideas or experiences from you. I am rather a technically
inclined user instead being a developer - thus the question to the gurus
of the list. Go for i386 or amd64?

Thanks for all input!
herb langhans