Re: Various size of (Project) ideas for NetBSD and pkgsrc

On 10/02/2013 09:59 AM, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 09:15:48AM +0200, Sergio Lopez wrote:
>> without changes. I think we just need an OpenFirmware replacement, some
>> device drivers, and the usual bunch of tweaks here and there.
>
> The "just need an OpenFirmware replacement" part scares me big time.
> Is there any practical use in this?

Well, perhaps saying "OpenFirmware replacement" was a bit of an
exaggeration. Gaisler, in its mklinuximg package, provides a GPL'ed PROM
which implements vectors according to the OpenBoot specification.

This needs a deeper analysis, but I think there are three options:

 1) Adopt Gailer's PROM
 2) Write our own BSD licensed PROM
 3) Ignore the OpenBoot spec and make the kernel do its own way through
the hardware.

Sergio.