Re: Various size of (Project) ideas for NetBSD and pkgsrc

On 09/29/2013 08:41 PM, Ryo ONODERA wrote:
> (b) Porting NetBSD to OpenRISC 1200 (target board is not specified)

Precisely a few weeks ago I've started playing around the idea of doing
a or1k port. I've managed to build a stub-filled or32 kernel, and now
I've dealing with the early CPU/MMU initialization.

I'm targeting the architectural simulator (or1ksim), and I think is
quite feasible as a project, but as I can only dedicate a few hours per
week, I can't guarantee results.

> (d) Porting NetBSD to FPGA board with SPARC CPU softcore (target CPU and
> board is not specified)

As we already have SPARCv8 support, this should be fairly easy. In fact,
I've tried running a MRCOFFEE under TSIM (LEON3 emulator) and most of
the hard and ugly low-level stuff (CPU, MMU, PIC...) seems to work
without changes. I think we just need an OpenFirmware replacement, some
device drivers, and the usual bunch of tweaks here and there.

The bad news is that TSIM is proprietary software with a license fee.
Perhaps Aeroflex Gaisler would donate some licenses for such a porting
project, but I'm not sure about this.

Sergio.