Re: Various size of (Project) ideas for NetBSD and pkgsrc

On 09/28/2013 08:09 PM, Ryo ONODERA wrote:
(3) Restore MIPS support for NetBSD 6 and current
Sadly all my MIPS device is not usable with NetBSD 6 and current.
If NetBSD 7 is released, NetBSD 5 support is dropped, and
I cannot use supported NetBSD/mips on any MIPS hardware.
In this case, I have spare NetBSD/cobalt machine (Cobalt raq), and
I can send it to project worker worldwide.

Just my $.02 worth...

I have several Cobalt units - one of which I'm going to be loading with NetBSD 5 on a CF card here as soon as the card shows up in the mailbox.

The issue here as I see it is there is a limited number of these boxes and they aren't making any more of them. And even with NetBSD these boxes are getting comparatively slower every year while kernels and such get bigger every year. Personally even as a NetBSD Cobalt user, and happy, I can see where the effort to keep those in the tree might be not worth it overall.

That said I too would like them to keep it in there too just for security reasons but since those boxes are often giving way to VMs that eat less and are current I just don't see it happening.

But I've been wrong before. :-)

--
What?  Me worry?