Re: Various size of (Project) ideas for NetBSD and pkgsrc

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 3:09 AM, Ryo ONODERA <ryo_on%yk.rim.or.jp@localhost>
wrote:

> (2) Create multiple packages from one pkgsrc package directory
> For example, pkgsrc/fonts/harfbuzz has icu option and theoretically
> non-icu part and icu part can be separate package, but splitting
> only icu part from harfbuzz is difficult in configure/build stage.
> In rpm (Red Hat package manager) case, "build once and multiple packages is
> created" is realized with custom do-install target.
> "build once" means reduce of build time.

See for example MULTI_PACKAGES in OpenBSD ports. Maybe this could be
ported over somehow?

> (6) Porting Chromium web browser to NetBSD
> I have not tested build of Chromium (open source edition of Google Chrome),
> and I have a few experience about Google Chrome.
> Chromium may be useful web browser for NetBSD.

There used to be a wip/chromium package. I built it once but it
crashed on startup.

> (11) Improve NetBSD/evbearm support
> As you know, NetBSD/evbearm has some problems.
> http://gnats.netbsd.org/48130 , for Kirkwood
> http://gnats.netbsd.org/48193 and http://gnats.netbsd.org/48215 for pkg_add

I feel that evbarm is one of the more important ports in the mind of
many people. For example, the Raspberry Pi has many fans. It makes me
sad that NetBSD on the Raspberry Pi is so slow and unstable.

--Benny.