Re: limit dhclient to one server only?

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 11:51 PM, Jukka Marin <jmarin%embedtronics.fi@localhost> wrote:
Hi,

I need to set up a DHCP server and client so that the client accepts it's
IP from this known DHCP server only.  Is this possible with the standard
dhclient?  If so, how? :)

If I might pry a bit, why?

I've had this issue a little bit but it's only because when I add some whiz bang device to my network, it often wants to be the dhcp server. I'm just careful to disable that before I add it to the network.

Also, I had one particular server that did bootstraping with dhcp for diskless clients,  but I just made that my only dhcp server. I controlled how it handed clients by hardcoding the client MAC in the dhcpd.conf.

It seems like it would take some extra work to have machines "know" about each other reliably before you get to the IP layer no matter what you choose.

I'm not nearly as smart about this as I should be. I don't have much experience in dealing with the layers below IP.

Andy