Re: Starting service (particularly ntpd) in background

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 12:46:19AM -0000, David Lord wrote:
> My own /var/log/ntp/ntp.log has nothing and /var/log/messages
> just confirms I don't have a problem so maybe the OP should
> give some more details.

I realize, the time taken is not by ntpd, but by ntpdate. I have both
enabled in my rc.conf.

But ntpdate does take something close to 20s.

The reason I keep ntpdate enabled is, the system is also used with an
alternative OS (Linux) and sometimes the clock is found offset by GMT to
my time zone's difference. Starting just ntpd just gives up and does not
correct this difference.

Is it alright to keep ntpdate enabled by default? Why does it take so
long?

Mayuresh.