Re: Starting service (particularly ntpd) in background

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 12:46:19AM -0000, David Lord wrote:
> On 25 May 2013 at 22:51, Rhialto wrote:
>
> > I think the way ntpd is started the way it is, is to get proper
> > timestamps in logfiles, and no time jumps when services are running.
> > So it is likely put as early in the boot process as possible.
>
> I've no problem with that and ntpd here starts faster than
> many other services I run that are started via rc.conf.
>
> My own /var/log/ntp/ntp.log has nothing and /var/log/messages
> just confirms I don't have a problem so maybe the OP should
> give some more details.
>
> The answer to his question is probably to disable ntpd in
> rc.conf and run a script from rc.local but that would just
> move the problem elsewhere.

I wonder if we're running into the problem where ntpd needs dns
running to resolve the ntp peers, and dns needs ntp so that it
can report times properly.

If so, there's some guff from 2005 in:

        http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2005/03/16/0010.html

and apb's approach (much better, IMO) in

        http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2009/08/10/msg002537.html

Regards,
Alistair