Starting service (particularly ntpd) in background

I find ntpd to be time taking during the boot process. There will of
course be some explanation of this. I can also possibly try using nearby
servers/switches that support ntp to reduce the time.

However ntpd is a service that I afford to start even after the boot. It
does not need to delay my getting a login prompt.

Is there any way to start a service in the background in NetBSD?
Alternatively, is there any way to configure ntpd to start in background?

Mayuresh